Need more details? Please check our full documentation for detailed printable information with everything you need to know about the Peak District Challenge.
The Peak District Challenge is a walking or running event, for individuals or teams.
2022 Event Date
Going ahead (with C-19 tweaks) on the night of Friday 16 September and the day of Saturday 17 September 2022, starting in Hathersage at postcode S32 1DU.
All events start and finish at Hathersage at postcode S32 1DU.
The Back Before Dark 10km event takes place on Saturday evening. You will start your fell run at 6.17pm and are aiming to finish before sunset at 7.17pm in order to be Back Before Dark.
The Copper Challenge starts on Saturday morning, and the 9 hour finishing target is 6.30pm. You can decide on the day when in the start window you’d like to start, between 8.30 and 9.30am.
The Bronze Challenge starts on Saturday morning, and the 12 hour finishing target is around 8.30pm. You can decide on the day when in the start window you’d like to start, between 7.30 and 8.30am.
The Silver and Gold Ultra routes start at 9.00pm on Friday evening, 16 September 2022, so their 24 hour finishing target is 9.00pm on Saturday 17 September 2022.
If you want to take part in the event and use public transport, at the time of writing, the last trains home from Hathersage on Saturday evening were timetabled at 22:41 to Manchester, 23.15 to Sheffield (Do not rely on this timetable, please recheck train times for yourself)
Participants and their supporters are also encouraged to spend the night in Hathersage at any of the local accommodation and take advantage of the local facilities and our celebration day on Sun 18 September 2022 before heading home the next day.
Teams or solo entrants
The Peak District Challenge is predominantly a team event and you are encouraged to enter in a team. 3-5 people is an ideal team size, but we do not apply a formal upper limit. Solo entrants are welcomed to the Back Before Dark 10km fell run. On the longer (25-100km) challenges, experienced and competent solo or duo competitors are allowed if they can show sufficient walking and navigation experience at the time of registering. The event organiser, Wilderness Development regularly runs navigation training courses.
Entrants are not permitted any additional external support, eg pacers or additional personal crews. We adopt the principle that you should only accept support that is available to every other entrant. So cafes are ok – your mate who leaves after seeing you is not!
Navigate yourself or join a led group
Only the 10km Back Before Dark route is flagged on the ground, on all other routes (25-100km) you’ll be met by our safety teams only at checkpoints. You have the option of navigating yourself around the challenge route, or joining a led walking group with a qualified Mountain Leader from Wilderness Development. Mountain Leaders will lead groups on the Copper and Bronze challenges, and overnight section of the Silver challenge taking care of your navigation and safety on the hill. Silver challengers must navigate themselves during daylight hours, and Gold Ultra challengers must self-navigate throughout.
We publish more advice on “What level of navigation or map-reading ability do I need?” in our FAQs.
Navigate yourself or join a led group with a guide
All entries include a stew supper, goody bag on completion, and full safety and organisational support.
These are the whole entry fees - even if you're fundraising for charity. If you chose to fundraise, your charity will receive 100% of any sponsorship, with no deductions, and nothing for your charity to pay.
- ...depending on distance chosen
- Route Guide booklet
- GPS tracker for your team (on 25km+)
- Drinks and Snacks from checkpoints
- Hot meal and Goody Bag at the finish
Join a guided walking group
- ...additional fee, to also receive:
- Mountain Leader qualified guide
- 12 People average group size
- Safety Equipment provided by us
- No Navigation skills required
The entry fee reflects the real cost of putting on an event to professional standards: an honest £22-72 per person (depending on distance chosen).
- Back Before Dark 10km, £22
- Copper 25km, £47
- Bronze 50km, £52
- Silver 75km, £67
- Gold 100km, £72
No fundraising commitment
You are welcome to use the event as a sponsored challenge for your chosen charity, but there are no additional fundraising commitments, and your charity will not have to pay a fee for you to take part either.
Your entry fee covers:
- Fully qualified, professional Mountain Leaders supervising the event.
- A GPS tracker for every team, tracking you continuously on the entire route (for 25km+ distances only)
- A modest prize pool of token prizes.
- A goodie bag at the end of the event.
- Water stations, Drinks and snacks from our friendly checkpoints every 10km on average.
- A stew supper on arrival back in Hathersage on Saturday evening.
- Kit guidance and advice, along with a pre-walk registration and briefing.
- Bag care, including drop-bags for 50-100km distances.
- Printed route guides and GPX files for self-navigating teams
- A scenic and challenging route, and all pre-event planning.
- A cash discount voucher to spend with the event organiser, Wilderness Development. This can even be redeemed in advance on any navigation training or walking courses that you take to prepare for the event.
- Finishers Packs are available to pre-book at additional cost, which contain an event t-shirt and medal in addition to your goody bag.
|Gold Ultra challenge||Minimum age 20 (to comply with UKA rules)|
20-year olds must be part of a team including at least one person 21+. (on TRA guidance).
21-year-olds + can enter as solo entrants.
|Silver challenge||Minimum age 18|
|Bronze Challenge||Minimum age 16|
16-17 year olds must be accompanied by their parent or legal guardian, they are not permitted as solo entrants.
18+ can enter as solo entrants.
|Copper Challenges||Minimum age 12|
12 – 15 year olds are permitted as part of a led group, but not in self-navigating teams. They must be accompanied by their parent or legal guardian.
16 – 17 year olds must be accompanied by their parent or legal guardian. Their team can be self-navigating or join a led group with a guide. They are not permitted as solo entrants.
18+ can enter as solo and/or self-navigating entrants.
|Back before Dark 10km||Minimum age 12|
12 – 17 year olds must be accompanied by their parent or legal guardian. 12-17 year olds are not permitted as solo entrants.
18+ can enter as solo entrants.