Extra info for charities
What is the Peak District Challenge?
It’s an exciting series of team trekking (walking and/or running) challenges based in the Peak District National Park. All have easy access to public transport from Sheffield and Manchester. Competitors are against the clock to try to complete either the Back Before Dark 10k walk or run, or our longer trekking challenges: Copper (25km), Bronze (50km), Silver (75km) or Gold Ultra (100km + 3000m of ascent).
How can my charity get involved?
We want this challenge to offer people a chance to fundraise for the charity of their choice. Every challenger pays an entry fee to cover their costs, with all money raised through sponsorship going directly to your charity. In 2014 over £10,000 was raised for various charities from the event. In 2015 this figure was £35,000, and £15,000 in 2016. We work with you to make the process of registration for you and the participants as easy as possible. You can register as a participating charity and feature on this website, by completing this Charity Registration Form.
“The Peak District Challenge was such a great event on all levels. As someone who spends a lot of my time organising events, I was really impressed with how organised the checkpoints and volunteers were. The food (particularly the savoury flapjacks) was great and everyone was cheery and smiling at all times. It was fantastic that MASH was able to take on the challenge as part of a team as it made the course much more achievable and fun. Aside from the blisters after, they’ve all said how much they enjoyed the challenge. The team smashed their fundraising target and I look forward to coming back next year to take support more of our supporters to fundraise and to run a MASH checkpoint again.” Helen Clayton, Fundraising and Marketting Co-ordinator, Manchester Action on Street Health 2016
What support will you offer participants?
Included in the entry fee is a wide range of support for participants.
- We will have a team of professional Mountain leaders as well as volunteers to oversee the event and provide cheer and snacks at checkpoints. A stew supper is also provided on Saturday evening.
- We will give everyone a goodie bag including a t-shirt and be recording their time and taking some great photos of the event.
- We will give advice on kit and training.
- We will give logistical advice on how to get to the event .
- We will email all participants a fundraising guide with hints and tips to help them to gather sponsorship.
- We provide comprehensive pre event information, along with a final preparation guide.
What do we expect from your charity?
- We ask you to register as an official event charity by completing a quick Charity Registration Form.
- You can advertise this opportunity to your supporters so that they might choose to take up the Peak District Challenge.
- You can provide extra fundraising support to anyone raising money for your charity by doing the challenge. We expect them to pay the fundraising money they raise directly to you and not through us.
- You could provide some volunteers to help on check points during the event and cheer all the competitors on.
- You have the option of paying half the entry fee for your participants, although this is not compulsory.
Why are you offering two fundraising options to participants: sponsorship for any charity or a donation to our charity?
Sometimes people don’t want to raise sponsorship but do want to take part in the challenge and also to show their support to a good cause.
It would be too time consuming to gather and send on individual donations to a variety of charities so we have decided to choose one charity to receive those donations. We have selected S.A.L.V.E. International to be our chosen charity for this event.
Are there any resources to help us to advertise this opportunity?
When do we need to be registered by?
Registrations close three weeks before the event, but to give us the most time helping your supporters and sharing your stories on social media, do register as soon as possible. Just complete this quick charity registration form and we’ll be in touch.